Friday, March 18, 2011

College Roommates

As the months before college grow fewer, I have started thinking about all the possibilities and dangers that arise in the college setting. By coincidence, I happened to have gone to the movies the other weekend and watched The Roommate. In this movie, two college girls, Sarah and Rebecca, become roommates. Everything seems normal and pleasant in the beginning as a trusting relationship builds between the girls. Rebecca grows quite fond of Sarah as the story unfolds, but Sarah remains oblivious to the obsession Rebecca is developing. Rebacca then takes it upon herself to eliminate the people from Sarah's life she finds as a bad influence or unwanted person for Sarah. Others begin to notice that something is not right about Rebecca, so they try to find ways for Sarah to see something was wrong. Eventually Rebecca's actions become more dangerous, and some people are faced with the matter of life and death.

The climax of the film caused me to wonder if something like this could actually occur when I become a college student. Going off to college is supposed to be a great, new, and exciting experience, but how safe is this experience? I do not know who my roommate will be, nor do I know the types of people I will come into contact with on a daily basis. I am anxious to go to college and see what new experiences I will encounter, some for better while others for worse. If you are in highschool, are you worried about what experiences you will face in college? What are you looking forward to with college? if you are in college or have graduated already, what experiences stand out the most?

6 comments:

  1. I did not see the movie, but am requesting my friend AJ to room with because I am scared to get a random who freaks me out. What I am most looking forward to is a little more freedom and the ability to be around my friends as much as possible without my parents saying I have to stay home. I like the responsibility of having to look out for myself as well. It will be a challenge, but once I get the hang of things I am sure I will feel a sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was asigned a random roommate for my freshman year at college. We got along alright luckily. I do know people whom did not get along with their roommates to solve the measure they went to Housing and Residence Life or to the head of your building. At Towson University where I attend in each dorm there is a Residence Life Coordinator that handles such problems within the building. So if something was wrong with my roommate I would have just gone to them. Otherwise most colleges send out a survey for you to fill out in order to receive a compatible roommate. Don't worry you will be close enough to home in case anything happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice is listen to your friends if they try to give you advice. Take it in and then make good decisions. It sounds as if the movie is trying to scare new freshmen and it seemed to work. I do not think this will happen in real life and you seem too intelligent to fall for any tricks. It is a new adventure, enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think with most colleges, freshmen year students are assigned a roomate that they think they will get along with. After the first year though, I think most colleges allow you to request the person you would like to room with. I doubt that what happened in the roomate would actually happen in real life. I say hope for the best and if you don't like your roomate get a new one next year. You seem to get along well with others so hopefully you and your future roomate won't have any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being on your own for the first time can be a scary thing. For most teenagers this happens when they go off to college and have to face a whole new world of challenges. This is also when you learn that you don't always have things go the way you want. Most of the time new roommates get a long okay and it is only for a year. If their are major problems then the school usually has a process in place to resolve any issues that may arise. Don't be afraid, many college roommates form a very tight bond and remain the best of friends for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think about this all the time! Especially since I am not going to delaware and won't know anyone at my school. I don't worry that my roomate will become obsessed with me, but what if she is really annoying or gross/messy. I've never shared a room so this will definitely be something to get used to. On the other side, I try to stay optimistic and think that I'm going to meet someone who will become like a sister. Also, even if I knew someone going to the same college as me, I wouldn't choose to room with them because you miss out on meeting new people.

    ReplyDelete