Friday, December 17, 2010

Baby Immunizations

This is link is to a video my partner found for our child psychology project. This video explains the importance of baby immunizations against various illnesses, such as Hepatitis B. From this video and my project, I have learned how important it is to vaccinate children. It is also important for people our age to be vaccinated as well for various illnesses. Some parents are afraid to have their children vaccinated because of the horror stories they have heard. These stories are rare, but they are big reasons parents choose to avoid vaccinations. If more parents choose to refuse vaccinations for their children, then epidemics could occur, and nearly non-existing illness may reappear, such as polio. Shots like the MMR vaccination frighten parents because of the stories that this vaccination causes autism; however, this is untrue because this vaccine does not cause autism, it brings out the traits that the child already possessed. Most side effects are merely slight fevers and redness around the area. I believe parents should consult their doctors before deciding to immunize the child. Parents need to research different vaccinations before jumping to conclusions about the vaccines based on rare side effects and faulty sources. If everyone began to choose certain vaccinations while avoiding others equally as important, or more important, then our world would be in danger. People need to understand that immunizations are important for the general and individual health of the nation and the entire world. If you were the parent of a child under three years of age, would you choose immunizations on your own, or would you consult your doctor to ensure the health of the baby before dismissing any vaccinations? Are vaccinations vital to our world?

7 comments:

  1. I am in full agreement. Vaccinations are essential for the general public to have. I hate all the people who get bullied out of vaccinations because of the “1” in 2000 people have an unhealthy side effect. I bet in most of the cases of having a bad side effect there is an even better chance maybe 1 in 1000 of getting the virus without the vaccination. I stand by modern medicine and its mission in the new Biological age of technology. Better vaccines= Better quality and sustainment of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since the first vaccination was created, the world of medicine has been striving to keep humanity safe from the perils caused from the many diseases that people know about. For the most part, the medicine has kept us safe and disease free, but nowadays we have bigger problems, like how most people are not having their children or themselves vaccinated because of a rumor or story they heard about the vaccination. These stories, although true, express the .001% chance of people who have a complication from being injected with the vaccine. When taking this into effect, people should get vaccines for if they don't their is a greater risk for an outbreak in some terrible disease like the measles, polio, or influenza (flu). So some advice for people out their, get vaccinations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents certainly gave me vaccinations when I was little, as far as i remember more than one at a time and I am perfectly normal. In the future when I have a family I will definately get vaccinations for kids because it is extremely important to keep certain disease "extinct" or at least rare enough that it isn't an epidemic again. If parents stopped getting these done for their child then a lot of diseases that don't show up anymore will and that has been seen, like when the whooping cough came back in a part of California because a number of parents found it unnecessary to get the vaccine for their child..

    I think for a lot of parents however it would be better if some of the vaccines were given on different days instead of all at once at one doctor's visit. Also that with new vaccines that come out make sure they are fully tested to keep dangerous side effects from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that vaccinations are important as well. While yes, being informed is very good, I think that sometimes people take the side effects out of context and make them seem worse than they really are. I know some people who were not given vaccinations as children, and they are actually more prone to any kind of germs because they were not able to build up sufficient antibodies in their youth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was one cute baby. I was given certain vaccinations as a child, but I don't get the flu vaccine. This is less because I'm against it, and more because we don't find the time to do it every year. My mother is a nurse, and so I just trust her with these decisions. I'm not sure which vaccines I received as a baby, but I know that I had chicken pox, and having the illness is a natural, but much less fun, form of vaccination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. look at this: http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/01/16/seth_mnookin_panic_virus_autism/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe in vaccinations for children. They have helped to wipe out certain diseases that have killed children in the past. There will always be one exception to the rule. Would you not have hernia, or knee surgery or a tonsillectomy if you heard someone died from one of these??? The fear of autism is now great. Could it be that now we have learned the signs and symptoms of it when we didn't know what to look for in the past??

    ReplyDelete