Friday, January 28, 2011

Music

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsypHzF3U

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ

The videos above are examples of what is acceptable in the music world today. Music today has grown into quite a provocative industry. Many artists use explicit language and their videos contain images that are not suitable for children to observe. Music videos can be seen on television by anyone with a television set; therefore, children are able to view these images. Personally, I have to admit I enjoy today's music. I enjoy singing the songs, but occasionally I find some videos a little disturbing with the sexual content. This music can promote foul language among young people, especially children. The images can show children sexual behavior, violence, and drug use are acceptable, which can lead to earlier expressions of physical relationships or even violence with young people. Soon America may see a drastic increase in early pregnancies among teenagers, especially early teens. America may also find that children are more troublesome in school with the language they use and the behaviors they exemplify. Even though the music may provide catchy tunes and emotional lyrics, the music industry should consider the fact that this music can be obtained by young people. This music could corrupt the minds of the younger people before they really know and understand what the music is truly describing. I hope parents will find ways to keep the explicit content from their children if the music industry continues distributing the provocative music that is within reach of children.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with statements made above. This new array of music has gotten completely out of control... Language is astounding and sexual content is on the rise, with this in mind I leave it up to the parents to lock television stations and not have a computer open to children to surf the web and look up these videos. You can not protect children forever and these videos will rear their ugly faces. On a side note the video of SHOTS looks like a bumpin' party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet radio or sites like Hype machine can give the listener much more control over what they hear. You can imagine at my age, I cannot even listen to the mainstream radio for more than 3 minutes! Pandora (just one of a bunch of sites like it)lets you create your own stations: like Genius playlists but with ALL the music in the world at your fingertips. Chances of the industry caring about kids hearing the wrong stuff? not very good, I fear.
    The good news: we now have more choice than ever before. The bad news: we have to make the choices, or they make choices for us.
    (also check out Ich Bin Ien Berliner's recent post)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched Telephone: I had not seen this "fabled" mini movie. Must say I prefer real Tarantino movies. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't listen to the radio anymore. I can't stand it sometimes. Especially hearing my little sinster now singing some really horrible songs whose meanings she doesn't understand. And I don't understand how people can admire some of these people, too. Remember Metro Station? A lot of girls I knew thought they were so sweet and genuine in their music just because it sounded deep and sensitive. "He says she won't be seventeen forever, so she should be with him tonight! Isn't that sweet?" No. Every single song was about getting some girl into bed without any mention of anything the narrator liked about her.

    I listen to CDs over and over in my car or look up specific songs on YouTube or my iPod. If I need new music, I use Pandora to explore groups and artists similar to what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that music has become more obvious with some of their meanings in the songs. However if you listen to songs before our time it was in there too and people who listened to it knew what the artist meant. I feel the difference between now and then is that its literally said in the song and is no longer up to the person listening to the song to distinguish what the artist really means.

    I do not think artists will change nor do i think that the industry will change anytime soon with what they accept, but that parents shouldnt let their kids listen to certain things. However even if they try to keep them from it, they will eventually hear it and find out about things anyway. So maybe the better solution is making sure that they understand that stuff that is sang in songs isnt okay to go around doing, and so they dont end up getting into trouble with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that parents should advise or sort out what music their children listen too. I know my younger cousin was listening to Fergie songs as a 7 yr old and I did not think that was right especially with the underlying meaning of the lyrics. Artists won't change it just means that if you have a little or young one in the car not only watch what you say around them but also what you are listening too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parents should monitor what their children listen to. My little cousin, when she was seven, her mother was letting her listen to Fergie songs with the foul language in them. She was singing right along with songs, not knowing what the songs meant or what some of the words in the songs meant. Artists probably will never change because they write and sing what they want and they don't really think about the language they use in their songs or that some young children might be listening to their songs. Artists don't realize the full effect their songs can have on young children. Parents should monitor the music they listen to in the car and at home to prevent their children from bad influences.

    ReplyDelete